German, Russian, and ROLL Family Heraldry

   ROLL Reunion
[ TRANSLATE: | German STATE Heraldry | German CITY Heraldry | Swiss Heraldry | Russian Heraldry | ROLL-Related Family Heraldry ]

German STATE Coat of Arms

GERMAN STATE'S COAT OF ARMS - An old image showing the German National Arms between the arms of the former West German States and their predecessors : small shield from top left (year of oldest picture): Hamburg (1450), Bremen (1369), Braunschweig-Grubenhagen (1390), Berlin (1460), Hessen (1247), Bayern (1302), Schwaben (1216), Saarbrücken (1284), Rheinpfalz (1252), Westfalen (1480) and Schleswig-Holstein (1386); Main shield: Hamburg, Bremen, Niedersachsen, Berlin, Hessen, Bayern, Baden-Württemberg, Saarland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Nordrhein-Westfalen and Schleswig-Holstein.
Germany is divided in States (Länder). These states are subdivided in Landkreise or Rural districts, which are made up of municipalities (Gemeinden) and Kreisfreie Städte, or cities. In some states municipalities are combined into Ämter and Grossgemeinden (larger bodies, but the individual municipalities still exist).
Source: Heraldik aus 9 Jahrhunderten - zur Geschichte des Familienwappens.

GERMAN NATIONAL COAT OF ARMS - The present arms were officially adopted on January 20, 1950. The German eagle is already an old national symbol for the Kings and Emperors of Germany, or its predecessors (to make it easy, the former Empire is named Germany below, even though the name was not officially used until 1871).
Even though Charlemagne used an eagle as the national symbol around 800, he claimed to be the successor of the Roman Emperors, who already used an eagle, it was not until the end of the 12th century that the eagle was used in arms of the Emperors. Before the end of the 12th century the eagle sometimes appears as the national symbol, but mainly shown as a natural eagle.
The first known use of the eagle as arms of the Emperor or the Empire is a coin, minted in Maastricht (now in the Netherlands), dating from between 1172 and 1190. It shows a single-headed eagle.
The use of an eagle was not limited to the German Emperors, at the same time the Counts of Saarwerden and Henneberg, the Kings of Bohemia, the Dukes of Austria and others used an eagle in their arms or as their symbol. In the 13th and 14th century many other noble families also used an eagle.
The Imperial Eagle was also used by all free cities, throughout the empire, examples are Mosbach, Aalen and, outside present Germany, Deventer.
The colors of the Imperial Eagle are already known from the 13th century, as being a black eagle on a golden field. These colors are thus also used by practically all Imperial cities. The origin of the colors is not known. It may be derived from the colors of the Staufen dynasty, who were the ruling dynasty at the time the arms were adopted. In any case, the basic colors have not changed since. The claws, legs, beak and tongue gradually became red. The first mentioning of red legs date from the early 14th century. The Zürich roll of arms from 1335 also shows a red tongue. The beak does not become red until the 18th century. Completely black eagles appear at the same time during the centuries.
The arms were covered by a crowned helmet with an eagle as a crest until 1330. In 1330, under the reign of Ludwig of Bavaria, the eagle in the crest was replaced by the wings of the Wittelsbach family (his dynasty). These remained until the 15th century. Afterwards crests are rarely used.
The original arms showed a single-headed eagle. Germany was an Empire, but after the death of an Emperor first a nobleman was chosen as King of Germany. He could be promoted to Emperor, but that did not always happen. Gradually thus two different arms appeared, a single-headed eagle for the Kings and a double-headed eagle for the Empire and the Emperor. The first mentioning of a double-headed eagle dates from 1250 in a roll of arms of Matthew of Paris for Emperor Friedrich II. In the next 180 years both arms were used indiscriminately. Emperor Sigismund finally decided the difference between the arms for the King and the Emperor.

The arms according to Matthew of Paris, 1250.
The double-headed eagle was used as the arms of the Empire ever since. The emperors themselves often used the eagle as a supporter for their own personal arms. An example is given below where the arms of the Emperor (Charles IV ?) are placed on the eagle. Above the eagle the Imperial crown is seen, the chain is from the Order of the Golden Fleece. This composition is also used by Imperial cities, such as Middelburg.

Arms of an Emperor from the end of the 15th century. In 1871 Germany finally became a true State, instead of a loose combination of (hundreds of) states and territories. The new Imperial Arms were basically a combination of older traditions. As the rank of King was no longer used, a single-headed eagle was chosen. According to custom, the arms of the ruling dynasty were added as a breast-shield. Contrary to the older custom, the eagle was no longer used as supporter, but placed on the shield again. As the ruling dynasty as the Hohenzollern family, Kings of Prussia, the new arms were held by the Prussian savages as supporters, each holding a banner with the Imperial eagle.

After the First World War, the new Republic removed all Prussian symbols, and used a plain single-headed eagle. The arms are identical as the present arms.

The national symbol during the Nazi reign.
During the Nazi reign, the old heraldic arms were completely removed. The new national symbol, the swastika, was now held by a stylistic eagle. Even though the national state did not use arms, it was encouraged for local councils to adopt heraldic arms.

The national symbol of the GDR.
After the Second World War Germany was divided into Western Germany and the German Democratic Republic. West Germany continued to use the old arms of the Republic. The GDR did not use any arms, but a typical socialist logo. After the reunification, the old West German arms were continued.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

THE ARMS OF THE GRAND-DUCHY OF BADEN (1830-1918). - Baden was a County in South-Western Germany. From 1806-1914 it was a Grand-Duchy and between 1918 and 1933 a semi-independent Free-State. Since 1945 it is a State of the German Federal Republic. In 1952 it was combined with Württemberg-Baden and Südwürttemberg-Hohenzollern to Baden-Württemberg.
The Viscounts of Baden are descendents of the Zähringer dynasty, that were named after the castle Zähringen near Gundelfingen. They named themselves in the beginning of the 12th century after the castle Baden, in the present city of Baden-Baden. The original arms of the Zähringer dynasty was a red eagle on gold. Whether the Counts of Baden have used this eagle is not clear. In any case, from the beginning of the 13th century the red bend is used as the arms of Baden. The meaning or origin of this bend is not known. As crest two buffalo horns are used.
In the 16th century the arms were enlarged with two griffins as supporters. A little later the Baden arms followed the German tradition in adding different quarters of acquired territories. At first the Baden arms were placed on a quartered shield of Badenweiler, Rötteln, Badisch-Breisgau and Neuenburg (now Neuchâtel in Switzerland). The latter was replaced in 1580 by the wing of the Lordship Sausenberg. At the end of the 18th century the number of fields had increased to 18.
After the creation of the new Grand-Duchy of Baden, the tradition continued. The new arms from 1807 were a heraldic monster : The actual arms of the Grand-Duchy were a shield divided per bend sinister of purpure and red. In the upper part (on the purpure field) a gold bend was placed, in the lower red field a golden lion. The actual arms of Baden red on gold were thus replaced by gold on purpure. The division red and pupure is against the heraldic rule of color. The lion should represent the lion of Zähringen, for which is no historical evidence. The main shield thus contained three errors!
These arms were placed as an escutcheon on the mainshield, which consisted of 29 fields. These represented 13 wordly territories (Baden, Hochberg, Kurpfalz, Breisgau, Sausenebrg, Eberstein, Rötteln, Mahlberg, Badenweiler, Lahr-Geroldseck, Bonndorf, Hauenstein and Hanau-Lichtenberg), 9 former territories that belonged to monasteries or bishop-states (Bruchsal, Ettenheim, Konstanz, Gengenbach, Odenheim, Salem, Petershausen, Reichenau, Öhringen), the cross of the German Order and the Order of Malta as these also used to have possessions in the new Grand-Duchy, as well as 5 arms of cities (Offenburg, Konstanz, Überlingen, Pfullendorf and Villingen).
If not enough, the main shield was surrounded by the arms of 10 more territories, each crowned with the proper crown : Fürstenberg, Heiligenberg, Tengen, Klettgau, Hagenau, Neudenau-Billigheim, Krautheim, Wertheim, Dürn and Leiningen-Mosbach.
Finally, these arms were held by a griffin and a lion (for Zähringen) as supporters and crowned by the Grand-Ducal crown. The whole could be placed on a mantle.
In 1830 these very complicated arms were replaced by the arms above; a simple shield with the historical arms of Baden, with two griffins as supporters and the chains of the Orders of which the Grand-Dukes were members. These arms were used until 1918. The new Free-state removed the chains and mantle, but otherwise the arms were the same. From 1945-1952 only the shield was used, without crown and supporters.
The arms of Baden are used in many civic arms of towns and municipalities, such as Baden-Baden, Durmersheim, Eichstetten, Emmendingen, Eppingen, Ettlingen, Malterdingen, Neuenburg, Pforzheim, Sasbach, Schopfheim and many more. Outside Germany the arms appear in the arms of Vichten in Luxembourg.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

THE STATE OF BADEN-WURTTEMBERG COAT OF ARMS - The State of Baden-Württemberg was created in 1952 by merging the three states that were formed after the second world war : Baden, Südwürttemberg-Hohenzollern (see Württemberg) and Württemberg-Baden. Historically the State comprises the territories of Baden, Württemberg, Hohenzollern and parts of Franken and the Pfalz. It also includes the former Austrian territories in the Schwarzwald (Black Forest).
The arms show the three lions of the Dukes of Schwaben form the house of Staufen. On the shield is placed a popular crown, which is covered by the arms of former territories that now form the State of Baden-Württemberg. From (heraldic) right to left these are :(Ost-)Franken (Franconia), Hohenzollern, Baden, Württemberg, Pfalz and Austria. As supporters a deer and a griffin, taken from the arms of Württemberg and Baden respectively are used. The arms were granted in 1956.
Schwaben is an area that forms large part of the present State. It was used as a neutral alternative to the arms of Baden or Württemberg. The princes of Schwaben were one of the most important German dynasties in the Middle Ages, as can be seen from the fact that most Kings and Emperors of the Holy Roman Empire between 1138 and 1254 were of the Staufen dynasty, the ruling family in Schwaben. The (then) Dukes of Staufen ruled in the early Middle Ages most of what is now the State of Baden-Württemberg. The dynasty as well as the duchy were abolished in the middle of the 13th century due to the changed political climate. The three lions, however, were still used as a symbol for the territory. They first appear again in the arms of the new Kingdom of Württemberg in 1806.
The oldest known seal with a lion dates from 1186 on the seal of Duke Friedrich V of Hohenstaufen. Twenty years later the Dukes already used three lions as arms. The colors were probably already black on gold, but the oldest colored images date after the decline of the dynasty.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

THE STATE OF RHINELAND-PFALZ COAT OF ARMS - The arms were granted on May 10, 1948. The arms are a combination of the lion of the Pfalz, the wheel of Mainz and the cross of Trier. The major part of the present State belonged to either the Pfalz or the bishops of Trier or Mainz.
The lion of the Pfalz is the lion of the Staufen family, who used the lion in their arms for the Pfalz. The family ruled the County (later Principality) of the Pfalz from the 11th century until 1214. In 1214 Ludwig I of Bayern (Bavaria) came into possession of the Pfalz. He adapted the lion as the symbol for the Pfalz and the lion still forms part of the arms of Bayern. The lion is crowned, to symbolise the special rights of the Princes of the Pfalz as chairman of the council that decided on the appointment of the new emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The lion can also be seen in many civic arms from towns in the Pfalz.
Trier was a major city in the area. In the 3rd century a Bishop of Trier was appointed, who in the 8th century became an Archbishop. The diocese had many possessions between the Saar area and the Rhine, mainly along the Mosel river and in the Eifel mountains. The State of Trier existed until 1803 when all wordly possessions of the church were abolished. The patron saint of Trier is St. Peter (see also the arms ofthe city of Trier), and the old seals of the State show the keys as his symbol. The cross first appears on seals of Archbishop Heinrich von Finstingen in 1273. Later archbishops all used the cross, sometimes combined with the keys. The colors were first mentioned in the Codex Balduini Trevirensis, dating from around 1340. The cross of Trier can also be seen in many civic arms from the area.
The history for the wheel of Mainz is similar to the cross of Trier. Mainz became a bishopric in 550 and an archbishopric around 800. The archbishops of Mainz also played a major role in the appointment of the new emperor. The bishops owned large possessions in the present states of Rheinland-Pfalz, Hessen and Bayern. The State of Mainz also existed until 1803.
The arms with the two wheels combined with a cross, appear at the end of the 13th century in the seal of Bishop Sigfried III. The Zürich Roll of Arms from 1335 shows for the bishops of Mainz a banner with a white cross, with in each upper corner a white wheel.
The banner of Mainz from the Zürich Roll of Arms.
From 1340 onwards the arms show a single wheel on a red shield. In the 13th century a Bishop's hat was added, but it was later removed. The origin of the wheel is not qute known, it has been explained as the wheel of the carriage of God in the prophecy of Ezechiel, or as a germanic solar wheel.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

ARMS OF THE KINGDOM OF WÜRTTEMBERG (1817-1922) - Württemberg was at first a small County in the south-western corner of present Germany, between Esslingen and Cannstadt. The counts became more and more influential and were promoted to Dukes of Württemberg in 1495. In 1806 the territory became the Kingdom of Württemberg. After the first world war the Kingdom lost its independence and became a semi-independent Free-state in the new Republic. After the second world war it was combined with Baden and some additional territories to the State of Baden-Württemberg.
The original arms of Württemberg are three deer antlers. They are first mentioned in 1228 as the arms of count Konrad and his father Hartmann. The arms were derived from older arms of the counts of Nellenburg, that showed three blue antlers. Both the counts of Nellenburg and of Württemberg were related to the counts of Veringen. Hartmann of Wirtinsberc (=Württemberg) was married to a Countess of Veringen. At first the arms were covered by a helmet, and a peacockfeather as a crest. It is known since 1279, but may be older in origin. In the beginning of the 14th century the crest was replaced by a horn, as can be seen in the Zürich roll of arms and the roll of arms of von der Esten. The mantling was red and gold, and may be derived from the counts of Veringen. In the 15th century three feathers were placed in the mouth of the horn, their origin is unknown (this is still seen in the arms of Urach).
In the late 15th century after the acquisition of the county Mömpelgard the arms were quartered with the three fish of Mömpelgard (see Freudenstadt). After the promotion in 1495, the new ducal arms were quartered of Württemberg , Teck (for the county of Teck, see Oberndorf ), and the imperial banner (see Ludwigsburg) and Mömpelgard. Consequently four helmets and crests were used; an eagle for the 'Banneramt', the old horn, a female bust with fish as arms for Mömpelgard and a dog's head for Teck.
In 1693 the arms were further divided after the acquisition of the Lordship Heidenheim, incorporating the heathen's head, both on the shield and on an additional helmet. Later 18th century additions were made for Limpurg, Justingen and Bönnigheim ,making the arms rather complicated, but typical for the baroque era.
The newly formed Kingdom of Württemberg continued this line by adding Elwangen, Schwäbisch Hall and Tübingen as quarters and combining the arms of Württemberg with the three lions of Schwaben on an escutcheon. Schwaben was added as a larger territorial symbol. No helmets were used, but instead the shield was covered with a royal crown, a lion and a deer were used as supporters (representing Schwaben and Württemberg). For practical reasons, since 1817 smaller arms were used, which were Württemberg paled with Schwaben (see picture above). A new motto was added, Furchtlos und Treu (Fearless and Loyalty). These arms were used until 1922.
ARMS OF THE KINGDOM OF WÜRTTEMBERG (1806-1817) - The arms of 1922 were quartered of the old Württemberg arms and the banner of Württemberg, no other territorial arms were included. As supporters two deer were used. In 1933 the motto was re-introduced, but the semi-independence was lost. After the second world war the area was split in Württemberg-Baden and Südwürttemberg-Hohenzollern. The latter used the arms of the Free State until 1952 when the two territories were combined to Baden-Württemberg.
ARMS OF THE FREE-STATE WÜRTTEMBERG (1922-1933) and STATE WÜRTTEMBERG-HOHENZOLLERN (1945-1952) - The antler as a symbol of Württemberg is widely used in civic arms in the former Kingdom, such as in the arms of Altensteig, Asperg, Backnang, Balingen, Blaubeuren, Dornstetten, Ebingen, Enzweihingen, Freudenstadt, Gerlingen, Grötzingen, Grossbottwar, Göppingen, Heiningen, Hettingen, Heubach, Horrheim, Ilsfeld, Kleingartach, Metzingen, Mundelsheim, Sindelfingen and many others.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

After the second world war the south western part of Germany was divided in three territories : Baden, Südwurttemberg-Hohenzollern and Württemberg-Baden. The states were created in 1945 and combined to Baden-Württemberg in 1952.
The arms of Württemberg-Baden show the bend of Baden and the three antlers of Württemberg under the colors of the banner of Württemberg.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

German CITY Coat of Arms


THE CITY OF DURMERSHEIM, BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG, GERMANY CIVIC ARMS - The arms were granted in 1901, but are of much older origin. The first time the combination of the arms of Baden and the stick appears is on a seal of the village from 1555. In the 19th century seals of the town the Baden arms disappear, it was restored in 1901.
The origin of the stick is not clear. Several monasteries as well as the Bishops of Speyer held lands and property in or around the town. The staff has been explained as the staff of either one of the abbotts or the bishop. The colors are the colors of Speyer. Another explanation is that it is a pilgrim's staff, as many pilgrims traveled to the village of Bickesheim, which was combined with Durmersheim in the 14th century.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

THE CITY OF GERMERSHEIM, RHINELAND-PFALZ, GERMANY CIVIC ARMS - The arms were granted on February 16, 1976. The district historically belonged to the Pfalz and the State of Speyer. This is symbolised in the arms with the lion of the Pfalz and the cross of Speyer. The wavy bar symbolises the Rhine River. The escutcheon shows the arms of the city of Germersheim. The arms were granted in 1841 and show the imperial eagle in different colours. The city was founded in 1276 by King Rudolf of Habsburg around a newly built imperial castle. All seals of the city, the oldest dating from the 15th century, show an eagle. The eagle remained the symbol of the city, even when the city became a possession of Pfalz in 1330, of France in 1793 and of Bayern in 1816. The crown on the eagle was added in 1645, but at the same time the colors were a black eagle in a silver field. The present colors were first mentioned in 1786, their origin is not known.
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland.


THE CITY OF JOCKGRIM, RHINELAND-PFALZ, GERMANY CIVIC ARMS - Jockgrim was a possession of the Archbishops of Speyer, Germany and received city rights in the late 14th century. The oldest seal of the city dates from the late 18th century and already shows the letter A. On February 25, 1925 the arms were officially granted by the Bavarian State ministry of the Interior, Munich, Germany. It has a red [with an orange tint] color field and a silver cadastral symbol in the form of a latin letter "A". The meaning of the "A" is not clear, it may be derived from a plow iron [an agricultural tool, loop, bow, or kink], but this is not certain. The emblem correlates to the court-seal of 1753, except for the arbitrarily chosen colors by Hupp [some unknown man who probably designed the emblem].
Source: Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland & Translation by Jens Krone.

THE CITY OF KIRCHHAUSEN, BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG, GERMANY CIVIC ARMS - What you can see in the Kirchhausen coat of arms is a shovel, a sign of the farming they have had for centuries, two plows at either side of the shovel and on top of it the black cross of the Knights of the German Order. It is black and white for the Knights of the German Order that kept Kirchhausen from becoming Protestant. It remains the only Catholic town within a radius of 25 miles. It was Napoleon who ran over Germany with his army around 1806 to fight Russia and he took the town away from the Knights and gave it to Württemberg. Württemberg is colloquially called Swabia (Schwaben) but those people have a different dialect. The colors blue and white are emblematic of Kirchhausen. All the sports teams wear blue shorts and white jerseys. Especially the FC (Fußball Club) soccer team. Kirchhausen is known all over the county.




THE CITY OF NAGOLD, BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG, GERMANY CIVIC ARMS - Nagold was a possession of the Counts of Hohenberg since the early 13th century. The counts also granted the city rights in the early 14th century. In 1363 the city became part of Württemberg. The oldest known seal of the city dates from 1352 and shows the divided shield of the Counts of Hohenberg. In the 17th century a canting nail (Nagel) was added to the arms. Initially the nail was silver, but later the nail was changed into blue. The arms have thus not changed since. Source:Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag



THE CITY OF RÜLZHEIM, PFALZ, GERMANY CIVIC ARMS The arms were granted in 1842 and were based on the oldest known seal of the town, dating from 1721. The knight most likely is the patron saint, St. Mauritius. The saint is shown as a knight as the town has been a possession of the Teutonic Order for a long time. The cross is also the cross of the Order. Source:Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag


Switzerland Coat of Arms


Swiss Coat of Arms

BERN CANTON (STATE), SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The arms are identical to the arms of the city of Bern.
Source: Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.

SCHAFFHAUSEN CANTON (STATE), SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The canton Schaffhausen probably already used arms in the early 14th century, but the oldest known image dates from 1396. The arms are derived from the banner of the city, which showed a ram. In 1512 the arms were clearly described for the first time, as being gold with a black ram. The city Schaffhausen used the ram coming from a city gate, and both images have also been used for the whole canton during the centuries. Since 1831 the two arms were clearly separated and the arms of the canton have not changed since.
Source: Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.

URI CANTON (STATE), SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The arms of Uri date from the early 13th century. The oldest known seal dates from 1249, but is probably older. It shows already a bull's head with a ring. The bull was probably a canting symbol. The oldest Germanic tribes to settle in the area named the area Ur (wilderness). The land was inhabited by a kind of bulls, known as Urochs (Bos primigenus), the ancestor of our present cows. The arms of the canton thus have basically not changed since.

URI CANTON, SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - Seal of Uri used from 1489-1548
Source: Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.

VAUD CANTON (STATE), SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The town of Rolle is located in Vaud (Waadt in German) . This territory was gradually acquired by the Counts of the Savoie between 1240 and 1260. The Counts were the first to use separate arms for the newly conquered territory. The arms showed the Imperial eagle, as the area officially still belonged to the German Empire. To distinguish the arms they added a red label.

VAUD CANTON, SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The arms of Vaud used by the first Counts of Savoie. The area was ruled by a separate branch of the House of Savoie since 1260. Ludwig II, Lord of Vaud from 1302-1348 changed the arms in 1306, by adding a barred fess to the arms of Savoie. After his death the area was again directly ruled by the Counts of Savoie, but the new arms remained.
Source: Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.

VAUD CANTON, SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The arms from 1306. The arms remained unchanged until the beginning of the 16th century. The new arms, which are known from a stained glass from 1530 in the church of Bourg-en-Bresse in France, show a simple black tree-topped mountain. After the conquest of the area by the city of Bern in 1536, the black mountain was added to the arms of the, since 1416, Dukes of Savoie, as a symbol of their claim to the area.

VAUD CANTON, SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The arms from the early 16th century. During the reign of Bern, until 1798, the area did not have its own arms. The territory was divided in districts, as in the other areas of the Canton of Bern. The combined districts of Vaud, however, seem to have used complicated arms, which were seen on a banner, dating from between 1680 and 1740. The arms show 6 fields, in the first the arms of Bern, the other five of the local districts : Iverdon, Nyon, Lausanne, Morges and Romainmôtier.

VAUD CANTON, SWITZERLAND CIVIC ARMS - The arms during the Bernese rule. In January 1798 Vaud proclaimed itself an independent republic, similar to the new French republic. Later that year the new republic joined the Helvetian Republic. The Helvetian Republic did not use arms. In 1803 the use of arms was again permitted and the new Canton Vaud decided to devise new arms. The new arms were adopted on April 17, 1803, and are nearly identical to the present arms. The official description mentions the green colour on top and the white below. The original drawing, however, shows the green below and the white on top. The colour of the letters was not described, but the motto was shown in black. Later in the 19th century the gold lettering became more common. In 1806 the arms were augmented with liberation symbols, cannons and other military equipment. These augmentations lasted for about 10 years and are no longer used.

Russian Coat of Arms

1857-1882 RUSSIAN CZAR'S (Romanov Family) COAT OF ARMS

1883-1917 RUSSIAN CZAR'S (Romanov Family) COAT OF ARMS

UKRAINE COAT OF ARMS - The National Arms - Trident (tryzub). The official coat of arms of Ukraine is a gold trident on an azure background. As a state emblem the trident dates back to Kievan Rus', when it was the coat of arms of the Riuryk dynasty. There are various theories about its origins and meaning. A trident was the symbol of Poseidon, the sea god of Greek mythology. It has been found in different societies, such as the Bosporan and Pontic kingdoms, the Greek colonies on the Black Sea, Byzantium, Scandinavia, and Sarmatia, and has been used in various ways: as a religious and military emblem, a heraldic symbol, a state emblem, a monogram, and simply a decorative design. The oldest examples of the trident discovered by archeologists on Ukrainian territory date back to the 1st century ad. At that time the trident probably served as a symbol of power in one of the tribes that later became part of the Ukrainian people.

a. b. c.
CHERSON PROVIDENCE COAT OF ARMS - a) The emblem of the Russian period was confirmed on the 3d of October 1803. In an or field there was a picture of a sable double-headed crowned eagle holding in its right foot a laurel branch, in its left foot - flames. On the eagle's chest in an azure escutcheon there was an or cross with four rays in the upper part and with a small cross-bar in base. b) The emblem of Khersons'ka Province was confirmed on the 5th of July 1878 and it was an azure field with the argent Russian cross with radiance in the four upper corners and accompanied by three or emperial crowns on both sides and below. The shield is crowned with the emperial crown and surrounded with oak leaves which are connected by the ribbon of the Order of St.Alexander. c) Mr. B. Kene worked out a project of a new emblem of the town of Cherson - in an or field there was a tower on a sable mountain. A maiden in azure clothes was on the tower. In the canton an emblem of Khersons'ka province. The shield is crowned with an argent mauerkrone with three embattlements and within two or spikes entwined with the ribbon of the Order of St.Alexander. The emblem was not approved.

a. b.
ODESSA OBLAST' (PROVIDENCE) - a) The emblem of the Russian period was confirmed on the 7th of November 1847. A shield per fess with azure. In the upper part there was Khersons'ka emblem, in the lower part one could see three storks each in its nest. Two storks were on the sides and one was between them in base. b) CITY OF ODESSA - An emblem of the Russian period was confirmed on the 22nd of April 1798. A shield per fess with gules. In the upper part there was an naissant state eagle, in the lower part one could see a argent anchor.

CITY OF SARATOV - 1781 emblem - Before communism extinguished religion in Russia, the Catholic Diocese of Tiraspol maintained a large seminary in the city of Saratov on the west bank of the Volga River a few hundred miles above the Caspian Sea. The Holy See established the first South Russian region diocese in 1847. The bishopric seat was in the port city of Cherson but, after violent objection from the Orthodox clergy, it was soon transferred to Tiraspol, a small Moldavian town on the Dniester River. It was again relocated to Saratov in 1856 until it's closing in 1917.

Related ROLL Family's Coat of Arms

The study of coats of arms is called heraldry, the language of emblems, (i.e. patterns, signs and symbols), which grew out of the military life of the Middle Ages. Those "extraordinary times of reality and romance, of barbarism and civilization" when the social order was feudal. Of the various trappings of feudalism, only heraldry survives. Those who control the issuance of arms are the heralds. Typically, each country in Western Europe has an office of the heralds, sometimes called the Kings of Arms. The heralds are empowered to decide who is authorized to display a certain coat of arms.
Blazoning is the heraldic term for describing a coat of arms; first its color, i.e. the field (background) and second the bearings (designs) all in their proper order and respective shapes, positions and tinctures (colors).
Most Americans are very nieve about heraldry. Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a family coat of arms in Western Europe. A coat of arms is issued to one person, not to a family. After that person is deceased, his eldest heir may apply for the same coat of arms. Again, when he dies, his heir may apply. The rules for determining who is eligible to display a coat of arms are very similar to the rules for becoming King or Queen of England. However, even the proper heir cannot display the coat of arms until he or she has received authorization (been confirmed) by the heralds. At any one time, only one person may rightfully display a coat of arms.

Some wise words from an anonymous person: "So you got a coat of arms from somebody in New York, which they researched very thoroughly and authentisized. Well good for you! The average person was more concerned about bringing food to the table and hoped to survive the next winter, next flood, next Cholera epidemic etc. Don’t burn it in your fireplace, but hang it in a prominent place, if you haven’t already, to remind you of Barnum’s saying: There’s a sucker born every minute. If it does not have a minimum of a unicorn, shield, or lion you really got taken."




a b c d
GARTNER FAMILY COAT OF ARMS - a) unknown b) German GAERTNER c) German GARTNER ancient arms d) England GARTNER ancient arms

a b c d
HEIDT FAMILY COAT OF ARMS - a) German HEIDT ancient arms b) German HEID ancient arms c) Belgium HEID ancient arms d) English HITE ancient arms





a. b.


The OLD original coat of arms found in castles were made of wood and then painted.

a1. a2. a3. a4.
a5. a6. b.
a1), a2), a3, a4) Four versions of the ROLL arms, probably from Allern; a5) ROLLE - Allern; a6) ROLL - Allern; b) ROLL - Aul

c. d. e. f.
c) de ROLL (ROLLE) family coat from Geneva, Switzerland; d) ROLL - Neufehatel Soleum; e) ROLLE - Geneva, Switzerland; f) ROLLE Sculpter - Geneva, Switzerland. Probably made of wood.

g. h1. h2. i. j.
g) The family shield granted to Pierre Louis de ROLL (ROLLE) in France during the reign of King Louis XIV; h1) ROLL - Gase Alsace, France; h2) ROLL - was listed as an ancient German arms; i) ROLLÉ - Flandre j) ROLLE - was listed as an ancient French arms

k. l. m. n. o.
k) ROLL crest from England; l) ROLL - was listed as an ancient English arms; m) RÖLL (ROELL) - Tyrol; n) Die Rollin; o) ROL - French origin with family moving into Italy

p1. p2.
p1) Felix Freiherr (Ignaz Franz) von ROLL of Bernau (1729-1795) family coat, belonging to a Knight order. The ROLL family castle is located in Auenheim/Niederaussem (Bergheim) , Northrhine-Westphalia, Germany near Cologne; p2) The Baron Ignaz Franz von ROLL coat, which is still hanging over the castle door today.

q) The Rolli Dudel crest - A very colorful costume carnival-festival named after a ROLL family.

Please email us if you find the following coats:
Aristocracy coats of arms from northeast Germany: ROLL in Mecklenburg (expired)
ROLL in Prussia (count/barons)
ROLL De Bernan
ROLLE De La Moinerie

Purchase ROLL-brand wines!

a. b.
a) ROE Family Coat [probably England] b) ROWE Family Coat SCHAFF/SCHAAF FAMILY COAT OF ARMS

a. b.
a) German SCHAFF ancient arms b) German SCHAAF ancient arms


ROLL Reunion

"The German is like a willow.
No matter which way you bend him,
he will always take root again."
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn -

Questions, Comments, Suggestions to WebMaster.   Thank you.  © Copyright 2000 - 2014