ROLL-Related Family Surnames which came from Leimersheim: HEIDT, KUHN, SCHAFF/SCHAF/SCHAAF
Leimersheim Civic Arms
Leimersheim on-line map - Multimap.com mapping web site.Leimersheim will be 1225 years in 2003, with a folk festival in July. Find out more at www.leimersheim2003.de . The new Leimershiem chronicle book was published January 2003.
Leimersheim is over 1200 years old and is a former fishermen and sailor village. It lies along the waters of the Rhine River in the middle of the Germersheim district. The entire area has been designated as an environmentally protected area. Leimersheim was first mentioned in a 778 document as "Leidmaresheim." However, bronze findings dating from Roman times prove that this area around the Rhine was settled much earlier. In 960, Lord Rudolf came into control of the village, and built a well-fortified castle. At the beginning of the eighteenth century, the castle was torn down.
Court was held regularly in front of the fountain in the Leimersheim castle, where citizens learned their rights and duties. The rights determined in this way were called "Weistum." The parish church was repeatedly destroyed and was built again in 1730. In 1875 Abraham Weil, then a tax collector and later a honored citizen, opened the first bank. During New Year's night in 1883, the residents of Leimersheim fled to Kuhardt and Rülzheim when a breech in the dam caused the Rhine to flood the village. In the following decades, under the leadership of Colonel Tulla of Baden, there was a straightening of the Rhine and new dams were built to offer protection from the yearly floods. Shortly after the outbreak of World War II, in 1940, a mine destroyed the Leimersheim ferry. A new ferry was started, however, it had to be sunk in March 1945.
In 1960 the "Villa Serr," a new community center, was built. Construction was started on the Cardinal Wedel School and gym in 1964. It was officially opened in 1966. In 1969, Leimersheim won the gold medal in the national competition, "Our Village is Beautiful."
In 1970, in Synagogue Square, a memorial was erected in memory of the citizens of Leimersheim who were victims of the Nazi terror regime from 1933-1945. A cemetery hall was erected in the cemetery, where cemetery services are held after the Mass before burial. In 1974, a modern kindergarten was built and a new firehouse was completed for the fire department.
In July 1978, Leimersheim celebrated 1200 years with a "Festwoche", a week of celebration. A hall was built for athletic and community events at Fischmal in 1983. Since 1985, a bike path has connected the Rhine bike path with Leimersheim, Kuhart, and Rülzheim. At the sport and community center, there was a music pavilion built with a terrace used by musical groups. A "Mary" memorial with a "La Salette Marienstatue" was build across from the cemetery. It is especially used during the month of May as a place of prayer to Mary.
In 1993, with the support of the provincial government, the sidewalks of the Muehlstrasse and the Rheinstrasse were rebuilt, and the lower main street was made into a pedestrian zone. In 1996, a new entrance to the area from the direction of Kuhardt was arranged.
Notice the beautiful forest on the east side of town and the inlet leading to the Rhine River.
St. Gertrudis Catholic Church is located on the west side of town.
1978 Leimersheim photo.
a. b. c. c. d. d. |
ST. GERTRUDIS CATHOLIC CHURCH (960-Present) - Leimersheim, Pfalz, Germany
The first church which was built in 960. The second church (a), completed in 1731, was torn down and the modern style church (c) was build in 1964 with the alter and chor from the old one. The patron saint is Gertrud from Nivelles (626-659). She was a nun and parton of gardeners and voyagers. b) Inside the 1763 church. d) Inside the 1964 church.
ROLL-related surnames are in bold lettering.ALBRECHT, ALWENS, ANTELSZEISLER, ANTONI, ARNSPACH, AVRIL, BAERLE, BALBACH, BAUCHHEINZ, BAUMANN, BAYER, BECK, BECKER, BEHR, BOEH, BOHRMANN, BOLTZ, BUERCKEL, BÜGLER, BÜRCKEL, BUTTWEILER, CAMMISAER, CHRIST, DARIUS, DAUB, DENDEL, DENGEL, DEUBIG, DEWALD, DOERRLER, DÖRRLER, DUTHAN, EMLING, EMMERLING, ENGLERT, ESCHBACHER, FELTZER, FREUDENSTEIN, FRIED, FROEHAUF, GEHRLEIN, GEIGER, GIMPEL, GOETZ, GRAB, GRIESER, HAMANN, HAMBURGER, HAMMER, HASSLACHER, HEID, HEIDT, HEIM, HEINBERGER, HEINRICH, HEINTZ, HESSELSCHWERDT, HESSELSCHWERDT, HETZLER, HILDEBRAND, HOERNER, HOFFMANN, HORIX, HORN, HÖRNER, HUBER, HUMMEL, JAHRAUS, JOACHIM, JOSSE, JUNG, KANIKER, KEISER, KEISZLING, KELLER, KERNER, KESSEL, KIRNBERGER, KLEIN, KNOEPPER, KOENIG, KREGER, KRUSCHECK, KUHN, LACHER, LAVEUVE, LEGER, LEIBEL, LEIBFRIED, LIEBEL, LIERDET, LINCK, LOESCH, LOEW, LOEW, LÖSCH, MARTHALER, MARTIN, MAYER, MILDENBERGER, MISCHLER, MOESCHER, MOOS, MUELLER, MÜLLER, NEFF, NEGELE, OCHSENREITHER, PFADT, PHILIPP, RACHNITZ, RASTATTER, ROBIN, ROTH, SCHAAF, SCHAEFFNER, SCHARDT, SCHARDT, SCHAUERMANN, SCHIRMER, SCHLINDWEIN, SCHLOER, SCHLOER, SCHMITT, SCHNEE, SCHNEIDER, SCHWAB, SERR, SPRUNG, STARCK, STAUS, STEIN, STELL, STIEBIG, STROHMEIER, SUTTER, TEUTSCH, TONNIES, ULRICH, VOLKERT, VOLTZ, WESCHLER, WETTENGEL, WETTSTEIN, WINGERTER, WOLFF, WUENSCHEL, WUERTZ, WÜNSCHEL, WÜRTZ, ZIEMER, ZIMMERMANN, ZOLLER