ROLL-Related Family Surnames which came from Katharinental: HEINZMAN, MISCHEL, SCHÜTZMANN, STROH. Heinzman and Mischel families came to Katharinental in 1818.
Current Ukraine town name: KATERYNIVKA/KATERINIVKA
Katharinental (Katerynivka) on-line map
1940's? Katharinental village people
1998 pic - former Katharinental school dilapidated. (Source: www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu)
ANSELMANN*, BACHERT*, BAUER*, BAUMANN*, BERNHARDT*, BÖHM*, BRAUN*, BRAUNBECK*, BULLINGER*, BUSCH*, BUTSCH*, DAUB*, DEIBELE*, DIETZ*, DILGER*, DILLMAN*, DÖRR*, DOLL*, FEININGER*, FITTERER*, FLINK*, GREFF*, HAFF*, HÄRDY*, HAMMEL*, HECK*, HEIDT*, HEIL*, HEINZMAN (HEINZELMANN)*, HEISER*, HÖRNER*, HORNSTEIN*, JANZER*, JOCHIM*, KAISER*, KAPPES*, KASTNER*, KLEIN*, KÖHLER*, KRIEGER*, KUNZ (KUNTZ)*, MACKERT*, MARTIN*, MERZ*, MEYER*, MESSER*, MILTENBERGER*, MISCHEL*, NEUKIRCHER*, RESSLE (RESSLER)*, RUNG*, SCHILLING*, SCHMALZ*, SCHOCH*, SCHÜTZMANN*, STEINER*, STROH*, STURN*, THIEREIN*, WEITENHEIMER*, WEILER*, ZENTNER*
ST. PIUS CATHOLIC CHURCH () - Katharinental, Beresan, Cherson, South Russia. The Katharinental Church patron is His Holiness Pope Pius V.
Translation from Schnurr's book by Bob Berger:
Founding of the town: 1817
Founding of the parish: 1871
Mission of Landau Diocese: 1817 - 1861
Mission of Karlsruhe Diocese: 1861 - 1871
Katharinental had to ask three times for permission to become a parish.
Three German Chutors and a Russian town were attached to this parish. The first priest was installed in 1919 ? pop.: 1622 (acording to Geßler)
Lists of priests on p.216
Note about Fr. Ihly: He and the archbishop were at odds so much so that Fr. Ihly was even punished in some way.
Church: built 1820 ( ?):was 26 m by 11m, and 6 m high.
The tower was separate. The church and ower were covered with shingles. The church had three doors.
The interior was plain: one altar, one confessional, as well as several holy pictures.
The new church built in 1868/9, [the community officially became a parish in 1871], was consecrated September 9, 1896 by Bishop Zerr. The patron saint of the church was Pope Pius V.
The church stood at the intersection of 4 streets:
Obergasse, Schwanzgasse, Schwabengasse and Josefsgasse, with the altar facing NE.
It was built out of Kalkstein (chalk stone) - kind of sandstone, in a mixture of neo-romanic and neo-gothic style. The tower was 38 m high and attached to the church. The center was 34 m long, about 11 m wide, and 8.5 m high.
The church was covered with steel sheet painted green; It had only one door, and 6 windows on each side. The property was secured with a stone wall.
Explanation of the picture:
Katharinental, 1942. Mass in the re-opened church.
The interior decoration before 1934: 14 stations of the cross - sculpted of stone, with gold background, a gothic confessional, stutue of the Sacred of Heart of Jesus, a Sacred Heart altar, a main altar (Table stone). The guilded monstrance and tabernacle were carved out of wood, statue of the holy Infant, Mother-of-God altar, a baptismal font, and a covered pulpit. The raised podium rested on four stone pillars. Katharinenthal had an organ.
The interior of the church: In the center hall were two rows of pews. There was a wood floor which was painted re-brown.
Administrator Priest (1873): Nikodemus Tschernjachowitsch Organist (1874-1904): Stephan Böhm
Verger (usher) (1914): Hammel
Religious instructor (1914): Butsch